Tuesday, August 9, 2016

31 - One more thing I should probably not state publicly.

I'm jumping into the middle of a whole storied day, here, so just a few tidbits of context first:
 - Emmett's sleep schedule was thrown off all day because of an accidental car nap in the morning (read: NOT ENOUGH SLEEP)
 - At the time we start this story it was 30 minutes past bedtime
 - We (the bud and I) were driving in the car

This scenario is a ripe for a car nap exactly when one should NOT have a car nap.

The bud also had an early dinner and by this point he needed at least a snack before throwing him in the crib for the night.

Well, GOOD THING I HAD A BAG OF TORTILLA CHIPS WITH ME!

I passed him one tortilla chip (excuse me, organic blue corn tortilla chip) at a time back to his little hand wagging in the air from his back-facing carseat. This accomplished two things:
1. Kept him awake on the way home, and
2. Put a little something in his belly - it was chips, but at least it was something.
Actually, here's one more thing - 3. It was great entertainment for me because his little hand wagging in the air from his carseat in the back, awaiting a gift from the front, is just about the cutest thing you've ever seen.

When we got home I lifted him out of his carseat and low and behold there were several partial chips there on the seat that snuck through the bud's hands and fell down off his lap. I didn't want to leave them there (because I'm so annoyed at my past self when my current self goes to put the bud in the car and finds a small pile of stale food from the last round of car snacking waiting for us in his carseat - gross). I was out of little trash baggies that I would usually use for this type of thing and we don't have a trashcan nearby in our parking garage. So without hesitation I popped those chips in my mouth. All of 'em. Scooped them up and tossed them back like it was absolutely normal. I did have a fraction of a second of logical thought about it - and this was still my best conclusion. To eat the tortilla chips that my tiny son probably slobbered on, rubbed around in his sticky little hand, dropped in his seat, and rested his [clothed] butt cheeks on for 20 minutes.

I felt pretty great about my decision (they were still a little crunchy!) until a few chews in and I tasted the essence of diaper. A couple more chews and the diap taste was overpowering. But CLEAN diap. And his carseat was ready and waiting for our next hurry-we're-late dash out the door so all in all, WIN.

1 comment: